Erika Jesus, Enrolled Agent

I’ve been preparing tax returns since tax year 2002.  In 2012, I took the plunge and became an Enrolled Agent.  You may wonder what that means.  Here’s what NAEA has to say about Enrolled Agents.

“Enrolled Agents are America’s Tax Experts

Enrolled Agents are federally-licensed tax practitioners who may represent taxpayers before the IRS when it comes to collections, audits and appeals. As authorized by the Department of Treasury’s Circular 230 regulations, EAs are granted unlimited practice rights to represent taxpayers before IRS and are authorized to advise, represent, and prepare tax returns for individuals, partnerships, corporations, estates, trusts, and any entities with tax-reporting requirements. Enrolled agents are the only federally-licensed tax practitioners who specialize in taxation and have unlimited rights to represent taxpayers before the IRS. The enrolled agent profession dates back to 1884 when, after questionable claims had been presented for Civil War losses, Congress acted to regulate persons who represented citizens in their dealings with the U.S. Treasury Department. Enrolled agents’ expertise in the continually changing field of taxation enables them to effectively represent taxpayers at all administrative levels within the IRS.”

“The Differences Between Enrolled Agents and Other Tax Professionals

Only enrolled agents are required to demonstrate to the IRS their competence in all areas of taxation, representation and ethics before they are awarded unlimited representation rights to represent taxpayers before IRS. Unlike attorneys and CPAs, who are state-licensed and who may or may not choose to specialize in taxes, all enrolled agents specialize in taxation.”

As an Enrolled Agent, I am able to prepare your tax return as well as represent you if you were to be audited.  I am able to draft responses to any IRS notices that you may receive.  With 15 years of tax return experience, I’d like to say I’ve seen it all- but I can’t.  The tax laws are ever changing.  The workforce is ever changing.  In order to maintain my Enrolled Agent license, I must have a minimum of 72 hours of continuing education every three years.  Being the nerd that I am, I typically exceed that.

I have been doing bookkeeping since 2000.  I am QuickBooks certified.  If you need bookkeeping services, I am able to offer a wide variety of bookkeeping or payroll options.

Contact me to set up an appointment to get started!